Skip to main content

Goodbye 2014

46.

Although there are many hours still left in today, we are in our final hours of 2014. I imagine for a lot of people during these hours will be making numerous 'New Year resolutions' that no one sticks too and many thoughts reflecting back on what we have and haven't done this last year. 

For me 2014 started with the best memory I will cherish forever, my wedding day :D on the 10th January I married my best friend, the most amazingly wonderful man who I love so so much. It was a very cold day, Rob was very poorly but it was the greatest day of my life. My Dad walked me down the isle and that is something that is so very special to me. 

<3



In July I started this blog, which I love. It helps me and I hope it can help others. With this blog I don't have to pretend who I am or how I am feeling, which is something I do daily. Through this blog I have connected with some wonderful people, family members from Canada and Devon who I never even knew about. Cousins who have only seen me a handful of times have been some of the greatest support to me. I have become friends with strangers who have read some of my posts. This blog, my personal but very public diary has been great for me. I never really know what to say when people tell me in person that they read my blog, but I guess I should say thank you

<3


September was the month where myself and lovely friends at work joined the Humber Bridge MND walk. It was so much fun, there were so many people there and I got to meet two lovely ladies, Amy and Jo. I'm not going to lie most of the walk consisted of us all discussing why people would jump off that bridge (very morbid) but we got to learn a lot more about each other and that was so nice :) Just having support from others who don't have to be there but chose to be is very heart warming and makes me realise how lucky I am to have these lovely people in my life...10K in June ladies!!!!

<3

A week ago it was Christmas and it was the first Christmas I spent with my Dad, it was only a few hours but it will still a very cherished moment. 


<3

2014 has been a very difficult year for me, I have cried many many tears, more than I can even count, I have had so many bouts of anger and frustration which only led to more and more tears but I have always tried to smile, I will continue into 2015 smiling as much as I possibly can. 

This year has been a year of growing up, experiencing things and being very realistic and blunt about situations that can't be ignored. Seeing my Dad deteriorate and become this whole different person to what I have known has been heartbreaking and I wish that by some miracle he could all of a sudden become better and back to that man I knew but his illness has given me that opportunity to get to know who he is, who he was when he was younger. I've been told stories by his friends and family, he has told me funny little stories from his past. I've never seen my Dad laugh and smile as much as he does now and this whole experience has made me realise how much I love my Dad, I love the Dad I used to have and the Dad I have now. 

Let's hope 2015 brings more hope and more steps to finding a cure for MND.
<3 


So my loves, this is my last selfie of 2014! Have an amazing time tonight celebrating the New Year, or if you're already celebrating enjoy it as much as you can :D

Much love, see you next year
Beth xxx

p.s to leave a comment select the name/URL option in the drop down menu

Comments

  1. Lovely words and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Beth this one is so touching like Gill said sad and happy give your wonderful Dad a hug from his cousin Janet from across the pond and from the rest of the Attwells here as 4 of us met you Dad xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very touching blog Beth, you dad always looks so happy with you, making some lovely memories, have a fab 2015, x x x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This may upset you...

50. Hello my loves. WOW we've made it to the fiftieth blog post, if you're reading this one and you've read all of the ones before, thank you for sticking with me and my public diary entries. If you are new to my posts then Hello and welcome to my life, my little world of, well, I'm not to sure...this. I'm listening and watching Sia - Elastic Heart, I absolutely love this song and I love the video! It's so incredibly powerful , I watch it without knowing what it is that is keeping me so drawn to it (maybe Shia's body...) but seriously please go and watch it, don't read the comments of the video if it's the first time you're watching it and let me know what you believe it is portraying. I won't tell you what I believe because I don't want my view to alter what you may initially feel.      I feel like it might be a good time to update you guys on my Dad. By the way, everything I write is solely my feelings and from my point of vie

In difficulty there is strength and laughter

53. Hello my loves... This may seem like a very strange time, some may think I shouldn't write at all right now but as I'm just sat here, waiting, I feel I should (plus I've been given permission from my sister Kellie and Rob) On Wednesday 4th February, which seems like a lifetime ago, I got a phone call to say things with Dad had took a turn and we all needed to get to the home as time was looking short. I can't explain the fear that was going through me. The panic was so strong I was physically shaking until i got to the home to see him.  I had no idea what to expect, what had happened or what was going to happen, I just had to go with it. I guess we all do when faced with these extremes.  I have to admit I was pretty shocked to see that once the sedation had worn off he was back to his smiley self, even dancing along to the music.  But we knew it was serious when they said he was now completely nill by mouth, no food, no liquid.  An influx of fa

Our story with MND so far..

6.  These are my feelings and my thoughts, no one else's, just mine. In June 2013 my Dad was dealt the card of Motor Neurone Disease, a horrible disease. MND attacks the central nervous system and causes muscles to weaken and waste away. People with MND have to struggle everyday with activities that wouldn't have affected them before. It can be different with each person but sadly the outcome is always the same, there are no survivors, only true fighters! There is no cure... In some cases of MND the person can also have Frontotemporal Dementia. A less common form of dementia but nevertheless devastating. My Dad also has this... I first realised that something wasn't quite right around January 2013, my dad and I were sat in a cafe and he couldn't open a folded lottery ticket my exact words to him were "can't you use for hands or something" his reply was "no, my hand has got really weak" I asked him to make a fist with his right han