Skip to main content

Why I Fear Failure

114.

I was inspired today, inspired by a video by a Youtuber called Tessa Violet. Her video featured another Youtuber, who I'm slowly becoming obsessed with called Dodie Clark. Both are beautiful musicians who I'd recommend highly to you all. 

Anyway, they recently made a video together called 'why I don't get excited' on Tessa's channel and I watched it and so much of it resonated to me. I'd quite like you to just watch the video yourself rather than me explain it. It's not mine to explain. 

One thing that stuck out was when Tessa says 'I refuse to feel excited about anything until it's happening' when she said this I thought 'wow, it's not just me who feels this way'...let me explain.

I hate, okay hate is a strong word, I highly dislike allowing myself to get excited about plans, ideas etc because I feel like if I do they won't happen. Something will pop up and stop whatever it is before it's due to happen, leaving me disappointed...sad. I also feel like if I tell people about exciting stuff they are going to be left disappointed. What if they expect some grand story? What if they expect me to succeed but all I do is fail? What if letting everyone down lets me down? Breaks my heart. I can't deal with that, I don't know HOW to deal with that. 

I think I'm the same when people tell me they are proud of me. Why? Why are you proud of me? I haven't done anything that's worthy of you feeling pride for me. That's how I feel, that's how I've always felt. Even when exciting things happen and go well I seem to refuse to believe it, I still find immense fault in it all. Why? I don't know. It's weird, I want to succeed, but I don't enjoy succeeding. It makes no sense does it? I guess it's because I have no faith in what I'm doing, it's all just a fluke. 

I think I said in a previous post that a lot of things have been going well for me recently. Bizarre events that make my cheeks hurt because they make me smile so much. But I can't help but think, wait even, for it all to go bad. Almost willing it too I guess. 

People tell me they are proud of what I've done for MND etc but to me I just wrote down my darkest times. I haven't run ten thousand marathons and I more than likely never will. I haven't raised thousands of pounds or organised events, all I've done is write. To me it doesn't feel like a lot. It seems like nothing at all in all honesty. I'm kinda waiting for people to see how little I have done and not criticise but not be 'proud'. 



I don't know why I do these things. I don't understand where or when this all started...okay I do, that's a lie but I guess that's just for me. But these are thought patterns that I have installed since a young age. I think it's going to be difficult for my 26 self to alter them.

I wonder if you and others have similar feelings? 

Much love
Beth xx

bethsblog90@gmail.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This may upset you...

50. Hello my loves. WOW we've made it to the fiftieth blog post, if you're reading this one and you've read all of the ones before, thank you for sticking with me and my public diary entries. If you are new to my posts then Hello and welcome to my life, my little world of, well, I'm not to sure...this. I'm listening and watching Sia - Elastic Heart, I absolutely love this song and I love the video! It's so incredibly powerful , I watch it without knowing what it is that is keeping me so drawn to it (maybe Shia's body...) but seriously please go and watch it, don't read the comments of the video if it's the first time you're watching it and let me know what you believe it is portraying. I won't tell you what I believe because I don't want my view to alter what you may initially feel.      I feel like it might be a good time to update you guys on my Dad. By the way, everything I write is solely my feelings and from my point of vie

In difficulty there is strength and laughter

53. Hello my loves... This may seem like a very strange time, some may think I shouldn't write at all right now but as I'm just sat here, waiting, I feel I should (plus I've been given permission from my sister Kellie and Rob) On Wednesday 4th February, which seems like a lifetime ago, I got a phone call to say things with Dad had took a turn and we all needed to get to the home as time was looking short. I can't explain the fear that was going through me. The panic was so strong I was physically shaking until i got to the home to see him.  I had no idea what to expect, what had happened or what was going to happen, I just had to go with it. I guess we all do when faced with these extremes.  I have to admit I was pretty shocked to see that once the sedation had worn off he was back to his smiley self, even dancing along to the music.  But we knew it was serious when they said he was now completely nill by mouth, no food, no liquid.  An influx of fa

Our story with MND so far..

6.  These are my feelings and my thoughts, no one else's, just mine. In June 2013 my Dad was dealt the card of Motor Neurone Disease, a horrible disease. MND attacks the central nervous system and causes muscles to weaken and waste away. People with MND have to struggle everyday with activities that wouldn't have affected them before. It can be different with each person but sadly the outcome is always the same, there are no survivors, only true fighters! There is no cure... In some cases of MND the person can also have Frontotemporal Dementia. A less common form of dementia but nevertheless devastating. My Dad also has this... I first realised that something wasn't quite right around January 2013, my dad and I were sat in a cafe and he couldn't open a folded lottery ticket my exact words to him were "can't you use for hands or something" his reply was "no, my hand has got really weak" I asked him to make a fist with his right han