Skip to main content

My beautiful Dad

54.

Hello my loves, you have followed me journey with my Dad for quite some time now. You my loves have been the ones I've expressed my feelings too when I've been struggling. You've been the ones I have tried to raise awareness with. You've been there for me when I've felt a bit lost.

I updated you last week about my Dad and the fight he was continuing to fight even though it was becoming a bit too much of a battle to beat. It breaks my heart to tell you loves that my beautifully brave Dad lost his fight on Friday 13th February. I'm pretty devastated if I'm completely honest with you all. But I'm so immensely proud of his strength and courage, how he fought and boy did he fight, he was truly incredible. 

Emotions come over me in waves, today I spent most of the day okay, just plodding along but tonight I've had a huge break down, crying seems to appear from no where. Today we cleared his room out at the home and it just didn't seem real. It wasn't right walking into that room and him not sitting in his chair smiling back at us. I've realised over the last two days, how those little details we take for granted are the things I'm going to miss the most. I'm going to miss him calling me a wanker, I'm going to miss all the random noises he made. I'm going to miss his smile the most, that beaming great smile that showed all of his teeth and the sparkle which took over his eyes. The whole beauty of it, the beauty in which was him. 

I wish you could have met him my loves, you would have instantly loved him. Everyone who knew him thought so much of him. Whether they knew the old Dad who was a quiet private guy, who kept himself to himself or the man he became who smiled and laughed all the time, who found the silliest things hilarious. I'm glad that I got to know that side of my Dad, it was a side I never knew before, I feel I got to know the man he was back in his twenties, care free and enjoying life. 

He could have gave up that day in June when he was told his diagnosis but he didn't, he held onto his independence as much as he possibly could. Thinking back now I feel bad for wishing he would accept the help around him. He was stubborn but he was stubborn because he didn't want the MND and Dementia to defeat him, he didn't want them to define him.

In the last nine days of his life, he was still smiling, still dancing, still laughing. I believe he knew, from the things he said, how he said his goodbyes before his big sleep, I believe he just knew. I have some lovely memories from those last days, which seems like an odd thing to say but it's true.

If any of you take on the things I say I ask you to take this, life gives us shit sometimes, it's up to us how we deal with it. In great sadness we must remember to smile, we must remember to laugh. Death is a heartbreaking thing for everyone but it doesn't have to be all doom and gloom. 

I'm beyond upset he's no longer here but so glad he is no longer suffering and I know he is wherever he wants to be having the greatest time ever, calling us all wankers for being sad and telling everyone to piss off.

Thank you for following me on this journey, thank you for all the support along the way and especially now. I promise I'll be smiling again soon, that's what he would want.

Much love
Beth xxxxxxx
 

























<3


Comments

  1. Every photo of your father is beautiful. What a fantastic personality he must have had! Sorry for your loss Beth, it really brought tears to my eyes reading this. Keep smiling lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dad would be so proud of you Beth. Your strength and courage through your dad's illness has been commendable. Just remember he is no longer suffering. I'm here for you hun if ever you need to talk xx had tears in my eyes reading this blog too xxxx thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. very sad to say good bye to a great person I am proud to have known him for a few years and got to know you and your family he is now at peace love to you all xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad day for the family, but you know he is at peace now. God bless from a fellow MND patient

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful tribute to you lovely dad Beth, your dad was a beautiful man hun, and it was lovely to have met him, he was always smiling,
    Your dad lives on in all of you, you all also have your dads strength, as proved over the last few weeks.
    Thoughts are with you all, hugs and love to, if there's anything you need you know where I am x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dear, your writing is very personal and touching. Your Dad would be so proud of you he indeed looked a very lovely happy family man.
    What precious memories you have, which will never be taken from you. As you say the only good thing is he does not have to suffer this terrible illness anymore. I am sure though that he will watch over you from his sunny happy place. With a smile like that where ever he is it will be sunny. Thoughts are with you at this sad time xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very very sorry for your loss
    My own father lost his battle with MND on 16th February 2011. He was 47, I was 20 years old. I cannot say that it gets any easier but knowing that my father is no longer in pain or suffering gives me some comfort. I know you will think of him everyday, and keep those fond, happy memories close to your heart.
    Each photograph shows your Dad's fantastic smile and it clear to see that you are all very loved! My thoughts are with you at this very difficult time. Please know that all of us, everyone touched by MND, will always be here for you and your family xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss Beth and family, may your dad rest in peace.
    Sadly my sister has mnd and time is now short.xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a brave man, and the love you had for one and other just shows in yours and his eyes,and actions speak louder than words. Thinking of you all and your family. x x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This may upset you...

50. Hello my loves. WOW we've made it to the fiftieth blog post, if you're reading this one and you've read all of the ones before, thank you for sticking with me and my public diary entries. If you are new to my posts then Hello and welcome to my life, my little world of, well, I'm not to sure...this. I'm listening and watching Sia - Elastic Heart, I absolutely love this song and I love the video! It's so incredibly powerful , I watch it without knowing what it is that is keeping me so drawn to it (maybe Shia's body...) but seriously please go and watch it, don't read the comments of the video if it's the first time you're watching it and let me know what you believe it is portraying. I won't tell you what I believe because I don't want my view to alter what you may initially feel.      I feel like it might be a good time to update you guys on my Dad. By the way, everything I write is solely my feelings and from my point of vie

In difficulty there is strength and laughter

53. Hello my loves... This may seem like a very strange time, some may think I shouldn't write at all right now but as I'm just sat here, waiting, I feel I should (plus I've been given permission from my sister Kellie and Rob) On Wednesday 4th February, which seems like a lifetime ago, I got a phone call to say things with Dad had took a turn and we all needed to get to the home as time was looking short. I can't explain the fear that was going through me. The panic was so strong I was physically shaking until i got to the home to see him.  I had no idea what to expect, what had happened or what was going to happen, I just had to go with it. I guess we all do when faced with these extremes.  I have to admit I was pretty shocked to see that once the sedation had worn off he was back to his smiley self, even dancing along to the music.  But we knew it was serious when they said he was now completely nill by mouth, no food, no liquid.  An influx of fa

Our story with MND so far..

6.  These are my feelings and my thoughts, no one else's, just mine. In June 2013 my Dad was dealt the card of Motor Neurone Disease, a horrible disease. MND attacks the central nervous system and causes muscles to weaken and waste away. People with MND have to struggle everyday with activities that wouldn't have affected them before. It can be different with each person but sadly the outcome is always the same, there are no survivors, only true fighters! There is no cure... In some cases of MND the person can also have Frontotemporal Dementia. A less common form of dementia but nevertheless devastating. My Dad also has this... I first realised that something wasn't quite right around January 2013, my dad and I were sat in a cafe and he couldn't open a folded lottery ticket my exact words to him were "can't you use for hands or something" his reply was "no, my hand has got really weak" I asked him to make a fist with his right han