Skip to main content

This may upset you...

50.

Hello my loves. WOW we've made it to the fiftieth blog post, if you're reading this one and you've read all of the ones before, thank you for sticking with me and my public diary entries. If you are new to my posts then Hello and welcome to my life, my little world of, well, I'm not to sure...this.

I'm listening and watching Sia - Elastic Heart, I absolutely love this song and I love the video! It's so incredibly powerful, I watch it without knowing what it is that is keeping me so drawn to it (maybe Shia's body...) but seriously please go and watch it, don't read the comments of the video if it's the first time you're watching it and let me know what you believe it is portraying. I won't tell you what I believe because I don't want my view to alter what you may initially feel. 

   
I feel like it might be a good time to update you guys on my Dad. By the way, everything I write is solely my feelings and from my point of view.

Things have changed, things have become difficult. I mentioned a couple of posts previous that understanding Dad was proving more difficult. Now, his speech has become almost impossible for me to understand. I can sometimes understand the odd word or when he's calling me a 'wanker' but there are no sentences now. He tries to speak, he tells me things but I have to ask him to say it again and succumb to pretending I know what he has said and move onto something else. He might have dementia but he isn't stupid, he'll know I can't understand, how the hell must that make him feel? SHIT! Two weeks ago, TWO WEEKS I could understand him and now I can't. 

He is so tired all the time, I don't know if that's because of lack of oxygen or if that's because he has become scared to eat food so appears to be hardly eating much. I don't believe they will let him have a peg fitted because of his lack of capacity, because he is unable to understand the pros and cons of one. Maybe they will see no option because he is starting to refuse food? They can't let him starve.  

Today (Sunday) when we went to see him he refused his dinner all together and was falling in and out of sleep for an hour while I just sat there watching him. In the end I said bye and let him sleep. He looked so small curled up on his bed, I could see the bones from his rib cage sticking out through his jumper. This shouldn't be allowed, humans shouldn't become like this, MND shouldn't be allowed to do this.

It doesn't matter how frank I am about him, about the situation, about the disease, MND is the worst thing for someone to have. No body deserves this. When I say he has no muscle, when I say he struggles to swallow, that he's not allowed solid food. When I say he is dying I am not exaggerating, I can't lie about it, I wish I could allow myself to be a bit more naive to it all, bury my head in the sand a little but I can't, I'm sorry. This literally breaks me.

If this experience teaches me anything, if this experience can teach anyone anything, it would be that we are not in this world very long at all, anything can happen to us in a second so we really have to look at what we have and appreciate everything and be thankful for who we have. 

Life is here to be lived, to be loved, to be enjoyed.

"don't you dare abandon your blessing of light for my darkness"

Much love
Beth xxx


  

Comments

  1. This post is so sad Beth, my heart goes out to you all, sending big hugs Suey x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh hun I can't even begin to understand what you are going through. Amazing post you are one brave lady. xox

    http://www.rainbowsandunicornsblog.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. a very sad post Beth you a brave one Beth ..in your Dads Heart and inside his mind he knows you are there and love him so much..be strong be brave
    from across the pond my arms reach out to give you a ;loving hug xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what to say Beth, but I hope you know I, and so many others are thinking of you. Sending you a big big hug xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. MND patients usually have a peg long before they get to this stage whilst they are well, I would question this for your Fathers sake , he will then be nourished and have more energy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ali Hochstetter26 January, 2015 21:20

    Too true , hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In difficulty there is strength and laughter

53. Hello my loves... This may seem like a very strange time, some may think I shouldn't write at all right now but as I'm just sat here, waiting, I feel I should (plus I've been given permission from my sister Kellie and Rob) On Wednesday 4th February, which seems like a lifetime ago, I got a phone call to say things with Dad had took a turn and we all needed to get to the home as time was looking short. I can't explain the fear that was going through me. The panic was so strong I was physically shaking until i got to the home to see him.  I had no idea what to expect, what had happened or what was going to happen, I just had to go with it. I guess we all do when faced with these extremes.  I have to admit I was pretty shocked to see that once the sedation had worn off he was back to his smiley self, even dancing along to the music.  But we knew it was serious when they said he was now completely nill by mouth, no food, no liquid.  An influx of fa

Our story with MND so far..

6.  These are my feelings and my thoughts, no one else's, just mine. In June 2013 my Dad was dealt the card of Motor Neurone Disease, a horrible disease. MND attacks the central nervous system and causes muscles to weaken and waste away. People with MND have to struggle everyday with activities that wouldn't have affected them before. It can be different with each person but sadly the outcome is always the same, there are no survivors, only true fighters! There is no cure... In some cases of MND the person can also have Frontotemporal Dementia. A less common form of dementia but nevertheless devastating. My Dad also has this... I first realised that something wasn't quite right around January 2013, my dad and I were sat in a cafe and he couldn't open a folded lottery ticket my exact words to him were "can't you use for hands or something" his reply was "no, my hand has got really weak" I asked him to make a fist with his right han