Skip to main content

The Last Post About Dad (honest and sad)

77.

Hello my loves. Now what you are about to read may seem random, you may think 'why are you writing this now?' But please do continue to read. In my heart I feel like this is something I need to write. 

I feel that my heart has almost healed. I feel that grief has turned into understanding and life is moving in the right direction for me now, even though it's the same as always. 

So let me begin...

I don't cry now my loves, I haven't cried in months and the more I think about it during the time of my Dads passing I probably didn't cry as much as others thought I would. Gosh most of them never saw me cry at all. That isn't because I'm cold or tough, it's because crying to me is a very personal thing. It's something only your own emotions understand so to me crying is something I want to keep to myself. I don't want the fuss of those around, I want to be left to feel what I'm feeling. 

Although only a few people close know the things that were said in Dads final days I'm going to be open with you and let you in. Thinking back I allowed myself to cry in front of a total of 4 people. And believe me the amount of people who were around in those 9 days 4 people is nothing! I wanted to be a comfort to the others, I didn't want them to see me (the youngest) break. 

Every night I feared it was the last one, every evening I wanted just five minutes a lone with him so I could let him know how much I loved him and that if he wanted to go it was okay. I tried so hard to keep the tears back because he was still awake, he would have seen me sad and I didn't want him too. The last evening that he could speak and acknowledge we were there he turned to me, he was sat on his bed and I was sat in the big chair next to him and he just looked at me, nodded his head a few times and said 'I'm gonna miss you' woah! I'm holding back tears right now writing that. Those words a long with I love you and a kiss were our last words. The pain was beautiful. My heart was breaking but the memory of that moment is beautiful. 

Each night I would go home or back to my mums and cry, cry until my face hurt, then I'd compose myself and start the next day. 

I don't feel like I was a strong person at that time, I feel I was just incredibly stubborn when it came to crying or showing I was sad. I never cried when he passed, I walked into the room, and turned and said 'I'll make the phone calls' I went back in once others had left the room but still no tears. I was in a state of unsure what I was meant to do. What was I meant to say etc. I cried that evening, a strong feeling of loss definitely set in. And that's how I was for a while, I had strong moments where I just broke down, one break down was one morning while I made myself a cup of tea, I just sobbed. 

I never cried at his funeral which was in March and I never cried at the burial of his ashes which took place in August. Do I sound awful for saying I didn't cry in those moments? I guess that is how I deal with it, alone and in my own time. 

Although I haven't cried and got upset for quite some time now, that doesn't mean I haven't missed him or thought about him everyday. I've had moments of anger and jealousy but they have gone as well. 

I guess I have reached the point of acceptance. 



I think this will be my last post about my Dad now, until February anyway. I'm sorry I've been quite open in this post. 

Much love
Beth xxx

Comments

  1. Beth,

    Firstly, do not make this your last post about your Dad. You have clearly found writing these posts a great release and a way of letting your emotions out.

    We all grieve in different ways and shoiuld never feel guilty for not crying at the "right time" or for crying at a time when one small thing can trigger such an emotion.

    You will in times to come still feel the need to have a little weep and that is fine. Yes the old cliche that time heals applies, but does it? It just makes things more acceptable and something that at one time would make you cry you will be able to look back with fondness. That does not mean that your love has gone away, in fact it will make it stronger.

    Do not be frightened of your emotions - they are there for a reason - a sort of release valve which we all need to let go every so often.

    Anyway thats my rambling "twopennorth" for what it's worth.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This may upset you...

50. Hello my loves. WOW we've made it to the fiftieth blog post, if you're reading this one and you've read all of the ones before, thank you for sticking with me and my public diary entries. If you are new to my posts then Hello and welcome to my life, my little world of, well, I'm not to sure...this. I'm listening and watching Sia - Elastic Heart, I absolutely love this song and I love the video! It's so incredibly powerful , I watch it without knowing what it is that is keeping me so drawn to it (maybe Shia's body...) but seriously please go and watch it, don't read the comments of the video if it's the first time you're watching it and let me know what you believe it is portraying. I won't tell you what I believe because I don't want my view to alter what you may initially feel.      I feel like it might be a good time to update you guys on my Dad. By the way, everything I write is solely my feelings and from my point of vie

In difficulty there is strength and laughter

53. Hello my loves... This may seem like a very strange time, some may think I shouldn't write at all right now but as I'm just sat here, waiting, I feel I should (plus I've been given permission from my sister Kellie and Rob) On Wednesday 4th February, which seems like a lifetime ago, I got a phone call to say things with Dad had took a turn and we all needed to get to the home as time was looking short. I can't explain the fear that was going through me. The panic was so strong I was physically shaking until i got to the home to see him.  I had no idea what to expect, what had happened or what was going to happen, I just had to go with it. I guess we all do when faced with these extremes.  I have to admit I was pretty shocked to see that once the sedation had worn off he was back to his smiley self, even dancing along to the music.  But we knew it was serious when they said he was now completely nill by mouth, no food, no liquid.  An influx of fa

Our story with MND so far..

6.  These are my feelings and my thoughts, no one else's, just mine. In June 2013 my Dad was dealt the card of Motor Neurone Disease, a horrible disease. MND attacks the central nervous system and causes muscles to weaken and waste away. People with MND have to struggle everyday with activities that wouldn't have affected them before. It can be different with each person but sadly the outcome is always the same, there are no survivors, only true fighters! There is no cure... In some cases of MND the person can also have Frontotemporal Dementia. A less common form of dementia but nevertheless devastating. My Dad also has this... I first realised that something wasn't quite right around January 2013, my dad and I were sat in a cafe and he couldn't open a folded lottery ticket my exact words to him were "can't you use for hands or something" his reply was "no, my hand has got really weak" I asked him to make a fist with his right han