Skip to main content

2018 and Second Labour Story

144.

I began 2018 finding out I was pregnant with my second child, 6 months after having my first child...crazy I know! But very much welcome and utterly exciting. So because of that the first few months of 2018 were me sitting on the sofa feeling queasy and the most tired I had ever felt. The first trimester exhaustion is truly shocking. I would tell people I physically hurt I was that tired. Anyway I thought after the first trimester it would be all smooth sailing like the pregnancy before, oh boy was I naive!

2018 became the hottest year that seemed to ever exist here in the UK and as a big girl anyway made even bigger because of growing a human the heat was overwhelming, I'm pretty sure even my eyelids  were sweating! Anyway the months went by and my eldest turned one! A day I couldn't believe arrived so fast it felt like I had only just had her. Watching her grow up has been incredible, hard work but incredible.

Myself and Rob celebrated being together for 10 years, how the heck has it been 10 years? My goodness he drives me insane at times but he's my best friend and I wouldn't have wanted to spend those 10 years with anybody else, I look forward to many more (and many more eye rolls and sighs when he says/does something daft)

September arrived, the month Daisy arrived. Throughout my pregnancy she measured small on all the scans, and on my due date they told me they were going to induce me the following day. Now I'm someone who struggles mentally when something big is kinda sprung onto me without warning so immediately I felt extremely panicked, a bit like a duck, what you could see looked calm but what you couldn't see was my brain going into overdrive. I went back to hospital the following day (sunday) and had the balloon fitted, I could go into detail but I don't think you wanna know about that. I left the hospital with the instructions of if it falls out come back, if not I was to go back 24 hours later anyway to have it removed. I'll tell you this, it fell out the next day whilst I was walking in the park with my friend...if that doesn't solidify a friendship that was relatively new, I don't know what will!! Back to the hospital I go (Monday) and I found out I was 2-3cm and could have my waters broken but because it was September, their busiest month, they weren't allowing anyone up to get their waters broken so I was sent home and told to return the next day. Tuesday comes and I was having twinges on and off throughout the day, when at the hospital I measured around 3-4cm and I was having definite contractions, this was around 4ish in the afternoon, the pains where barable but not pleasant. Annoyingly I got told again they weren't allowing anymore people to the labour ward so I was sent home with the same 24 hour instructions. When I got home around 6/7ish pm my contractions started to come thick and fast. I had to call the hospital back and say I thought it was happening, they told me to go back in. When I got there they told me to wait in a waiting room, which I couldn't do as there were people in there and my contractions were incredibly painful and only minutes apart so I chose to contract in the corridor until a nurse took pity on me and put me in a private room and she got someone to examine me, but I was only 4cm! Nightmare! They allowed me on the labour ward anyway to have my waters broken. I got into my huge room, ensuite and two sofas! Huge!! I had lost all dignity at this point I didn't even care, stripped myself off, horrendous contractions back to back, waters still hadn't been popped, robs top got stretched out from all my arm pulling due to pain, I thought to myself well I bet I'm nearly fully dilated by now...nope hours later and still only 4cm, I was that consumed by pain I asked the midwife to 'just cut her out' she gave me the look of don't be so ridiculous but I was exhausted with pain, drained, the thought of carrying on for hours and hours made me want to burst out with tears but then she said, she was going to break those waters, about bloody time I thought! So her and the main nurse got all ready, pushing my bump down to try and reach the waters because even though my body was going through the motions, it was not ready at all for labour. Anyway, the waters got popped, the main nurse disappeared and instantly the pains felt a little different, there was pressure, I then asked if I was 'crowning' as there is a certain feeling when that happens and I was having that feeling, the midwife said 'no no you're not crowning’ I told her I felt like I needed to push, she told me to go with it, well before anyone knew it her head was out, the midwife was so stunned she told me to hold on, she didn’t have her gloves on. Hold on? Er there’s no holding on when a baby is making their entrance. She told rob to press the emergency button and the main nurse ran in, my midwife telling her the baby is delivering herself, and that she was. 15 minutes after having my waters broken my baby was fully out having her cord cut and placed in my arms! They say your second baby arrives fast but my god I did not expect 15 minutes after the waters had gone. Daisy was born at 00:47am on the 26th September. And although she measured small all the time she weighed 7lb11oz so not a bad weight at all.

The rest of 2018 has been a juggling act of raising two children at two very different development stages, a toddler who requires a lot of energy and displays many many angry tantrums day in and day out and a baby who can only lie down, eat, poop and sleep and who looks as delicate as the flower she is named after. But they both fill my heart with so much and have shown me that when I think I’m pretty rubbish at most things in life, I’m a pretty good Mum!

Of course a year in my life has its ups and downs, it has contained it’s usual difficulties my brain likes to give me, but like each year I got through them and hopefully learnt a little something a long the way.

Here’s to 2019 and what it brings.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This may upset you...

50. Hello my loves. WOW we've made it to the fiftieth blog post, if you're reading this one and you've read all of the ones before, thank you for sticking with me and my public diary entries. If you are new to my posts then Hello and welcome to my life, my little world of, well, I'm not to sure...this. I'm listening and watching Sia - Elastic Heart, I absolutely love this song and I love the video! It's so incredibly powerful , I watch it without knowing what it is that is keeping me so drawn to it (maybe Shia's body...) but seriously please go and watch it, don't read the comments of the video if it's the first time you're watching it and let me know what you believe it is portraying. I won't tell you what I believe because I don't want my view to alter what you may initially feel.      I feel like it might be a good time to update you guys on my Dad. By the way, everything I write is solely my feelings and from my point of vie

In difficulty there is strength and laughter

53. Hello my loves... This may seem like a very strange time, some may think I shouldn't write at all right now but as I'm just sat here, waiting, I feel I should (plus I've been given permission from my sister Kellie and Rob) On Wednesday 4th February, which seems like a lifetime ago, I got a phone call to say things with Dad had took a turn and we all needed to get to the home as time was looking short. I can't explain the fear that was going through me. The panic was so strong I was physically shaking until i got to the home to see him.  I had no idea what to expect, what had happened or what was going to happen, I just had to go with it. I guess we all do when faced with these extremes.  I have to admit I was pretty shocked to see that once the sedation had worn off he was back to his smiley self, even dancing along to the music.  But we knew it was serious when they said he was now completely nill by mouth, no food, no liquid.  An influx of fa

Our story with MND so far..

6.  These are my feelings and my thoughts, no one else's, just mine. In June 2013 my Dad was dealt the card of Motor Neurone Disease, a horrible disease. MND attacks the central nervous system and causes muscles to weaken and waste away. People with MND have to struggle everyday with activities that wouldn't have affected them before. It can be different with each person but sadly the outcome is always the same, there are no survivors, only true fighters! There is no cure... In some cases of MND the person can also have Frontotemporal Dementia. A less common form of dementia but nevertheless devastating. My Dad also has this... I first realised that something wasn't quite right around January 2013, my dad and I were sat in a cafe and he couldn't open a folded lottery ticket my exact words to him were "can't you use for hands or something" his reply was "no, my hand has got really weak" I asked him to make a fist with his right han